If you are looking for healthy fats to include in your weight loss diet; you should try avocados and learn the 5 ways to eat them.
- A good weight loss diet must make sure that it has all the necessary nutrients in it
- Avocados are one of the most popular foods that people prefer while on a weight loss diet
- Learn the health benefits of avocados and why you should add them to your diet if you’re trying to lose weight
New Delhi: Avocados are creamy fruits that have grown extremely popular in recent time, especially among the people working on a weight loss diet. Avocados are rich in healthy fats. Healthy fats can be extremely beneficial for the body as it can protect the body against certain health conditions, including cardiovascular diseases and stroke. It can also help control blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Olive, soy and canola also contain healthy fat. Avocados are rich in nutrients and hold several health benefits. Furthermore, you can easily include it in your diet. Here are some benefits, risks associated with avocados that you must know about.
Healthy Fats benefits
This creamy fruit holds immense potential for a superfood. Here is why.
- Helps maintain healthy blood pressure levels: Avocados are a rich source of potassium. This can help regulate the levels of blood pressure.
- Regulates cardiovascular health: Avocados are rich in healthy fats and the monounsaturated fatty acids present in it can help reduce risks of developing cardiovascular diseases.
- Aids with weight loss: Avocados are a rich source of fibre. Fibre helps to improve the body’s metabolism process and digestive system. This further helps with weight loss.
- Rich in antioxidants: Avocados are a rich source of antioxidants. Antioxidants are essential for efficient body functioning. The presence of zeaxanthin and lutein can help regulate eye health.
- Can help prevent cancer: The nutrients present in avocados can lower the side effects of chemotherapy. Although this still is a field that requires further research, avocados can also help prevent cancer.
Risks of avocados
Too much of anything can be harmful to the body. Avocados are healthy but they also have downsides. Here are some risks involved with avocados:
- Avocados can affect the hypersensitivity – so one must be careful with the amount of consumption as it can increase the hypersensitivity.
- Avocados contain fat but the kind of fat it includes is healthy. However, excess consumption can lead to lowered levels of HDL cholesterol or ‘good’ cholesterol.
- People with latex intolerance must avoid eating avocados as this can lead to allergies.
- Excess consumption of avocados can lead to stomach discomfort such as bloating.
- Even though avocado contains healthy fat, it is high in calories. Excess of it can lead to weight gain.
How you can include healthy fats in your diet
Avocados hold immense nutritional values and you can include it in your diet in the following ways:
- As a substitute for spreads: You can spread and use mashed avocados on bread as a substitute for butter or mayonnaise and eat them for breakfast.
- Add to meals: You can include avocados in scrambled eggs for your breakfast.
- In the salad: Cutting up avocados into slices or chunks and adding them to your salad is one of the easiest ways to include it in your diet.
- In soup: Using avocados as the main ingredient for preparing soups can be extremely time-efficient and health-effective.
- In smoothies: You can blend avocados with your preferred smoothie ingredients and enjoy it as a refreshing drink.
Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purpose only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a dietician before starting any fitness programme or making any changes to your diet.